Friday, September 3, 2010

Copycat: Home Sweet Home Sign

Last fall I stumbled onto Karla’s blog and fell in love with these paper bats that she decorated her front porch with for Halloween. I loved them so much I decided to do make my own too. They were so easy and worked out just perfect for our Halloween porch decor!

But the bats weren’t the only thing on Karla’s porch that caught my eye. I also fell in love with this sign above her door . . .

2009_10_13_IMG_8908

I’m a sucker for wooden signs anyway, and this one was no exception. So you know what I had to do . . . make my own :)

I started out with a simple piece of 1x6 scrap wood . . .

P8060096

Sanded it down, and beat it up . . .

P8060099P8060098

Then I spray painted it black, roughed it up with the sander again (150-grit paper), and covered it with some provincial stain . . .

P8060100P7290084

And this is what I had after all that . . .

PC030006

I printed out “HOME Sweet HOME” off my computer. Then I proceeded to cut, measure, tape, move around . . . and then cut, measure, tape and move around some more. Ha ha . . .

PC030007

It was a little tricky getting it lined up just how I wanted, but eventually I had it.

Then all I do is trace over the writing as steady as I can with a ball-point pen. When you pull off the paper, you should have a light indentation that is easy to follow, but not really visible unless you’re looking for it.

Most of the time, I hand paint the lettering, but for this sign I just used my handy-dandy paint marker to fill in the sign. . .

P8070015

A little more distressing with the sander, and this is what I had . . .

P8250091 (2)

P8250092

Definitely not perfect, but just perfect for me :)

P8250090


EDITED TO ADD: The fonts I used were Constantia for "HOME" and Edwardian Script for the "Sweet," which were both found free in my 2003 version of Microsoft Word. I'd love to see pics if anyone of you decide to make your own too :)

xoxo

7 comments:

House of Ham's said...

I think its totally perfect! Everything you put on here is so inspiring to me! Thanks for the bats too i have been looking for the right cut outs and yours is perf!

Laura said...

UM your sign rocks!!! Now that I know how you do it I might have to try one myself. And do you see that you are famous you made on 320 Sycamore twice!!!
http://granvillehouse.blogspot.com/2010/09/labor-day-weekend-deals.html

Amanda said...

That is awesome, you did an amazing job!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

I love your sign! It looks great! I need to figure out how to resize things on my computer so I can do projects like these.

Kara said...

Do you mind sharing what fonts you used?

Erin said...

Love it Karyn! this is going on my mile long project list...but moved to the top.

All About the Cozy said...

I loved this project so much, and you make it look so easy, I've already ruin out an bought my supplies and am itching to start tonight! My variation is that my sign will say "Laundry -wet-dry-fold-
Love your blog and your creative talents!!