Monday, September 13, 2010

Antique Picture Frame

Just got back from a whirlwind trip to Utah. My sweet Grandma Mae passed away peacefully a week ago yesterday. She lived a long life of 95 years. We will miss her greatly, but happy that she is finally at peace.

My Grandma Mae was actually my step-grandma. My real grandma passed before I was born . . . so my Grandma Mae was the only grandma I ever knew . . . and I never was the wiser. She treated me like her own, and I loved her very much!

My grandpa passed away many years ago, and left a lot of things in the care of my grandma. But since her passing, her own children decided to return his things to my family. One of which was this vintage wood carved frame and painting . . .

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

My mom had put it out on the back porch, and as soon as I walked passed I thought it was beautiful! I asked my mom about it, and she said she didn’t know the artist or how it had come to be in my grandpa’s possession. Sooooooo . . . . I asked her if I could have it? :)

She thought about if for a second, and finally decided that if I promised to take good care of it then I could have it . . .

P9120022 rev

None of us recognized the artist or the painting. So I think I will pop the canvas out and do some research to see if I can find out anything about it . . .

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

But in the meantime I want to do something lovely with the frame. Just look at the details!

Right away I thought about Melanie from My Sweet Savannah. She makes her own shabby chic frames, and also collects antique ones. These are a few of the ones she has around her house . . .

day 2 014 day 5 159 kim christmas 21

The last one is my favorite. The shape is so unique, I love the grey paint, and I’m a sucker for chalkboards :P So I might try to do something like it for my living room . . .

Because you know the vintage windows I currently have on my living room wall . . .

P1060173 rev

Well, my husband is convinced the chippy lead paint is poisoning our daughters. I beg to differ . . . but the girls do often climb up on the back of the sofa and bump up against the windows. So I might choose to go the “better safe the sorry route” and move the windows to our master bedroom. We’ll see! ha ha . . .

Any other ideas on what to do with the frame??

xoxo

1 comments:

JACK!E said...

OH dang! I thought you were going to say that he was making you get rid of the windows so I was going to sign up to adopt them and have you bring them to me on your next trip. Haha, I can wish...