Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Savers message board makeover

I found this cute little message board at Savers awhile back . . .

P9210016

Blue tags happened to be 50% off that day, so this guy came to just $3. Like a lot of things I buy at the Goodwill or Savers, I wasn’t exactly sure what I was going to do with it. But I loved its look and the sturdy all wood frame.

Fast forward to about a month ago. I’ve mentioned here and here before that I’m lucky to have some pretty awesome friends here in Arizona. Unfortunately, I had to say good-bye to one of my best friends just recently . . . she’s trading in the sun and palm trees for the fall and snow.

Tricky trade-off, huh? :(

Well, I wanted to send her along with a memento to remind her just how much I love her. And in trying to think of something fun, I immediately remembered the message board I’d bought months earlier. I thought it would be perfect and I just knew she was the person for it.

So I busted it all apart and gave it a good cleaning and sanding. The previous owner had been generous with the hammer and nails, so I used some wood filler to smooth everything out . . .

P9250029

I asked what her favorite kitchen colors were, and she told me red, black, and cream. I’m a neutral gal myself . . . so my standard go-to colors are often cream or black. But it’s also fun to have a punch of color here and there, so I decided to use my favorite red spray paint . . .

P9230003

P9230001

The chalkboard itself was also looking a little dingy, so I pulled out my chalkboard paint and gave it a new surface as well. . .

P9230002

Much better, right?

P9230004

Once I had it all put back together, I did a soft distressing and a brown glaze . . .

P9240013

Turned out just how I wanted :)

P9240010

Love you Karalee!

xoxo


3 comments:

Crazy Lifferths said...

It is up in "my space"! I love it! You knew exactly what I would love and it meant so much to me. I am so glad you went to all that just for me. I am one lucky gal to have such wonderful friends! <3 you!

Anonymous said...

How sweet of you to do that for your friend! The message/memo board turned out really cute. Love the red.

Anonymous said...

Just came across your amazing blog. You have a lot of talent! Will be adding you to my blogroll!