Tuesday, June 1, 2010

To Dye or not?

A couple of months ago I went to throw some stuff into wash and I noticed one of my favorite shirts had a little stain on the front. No biggie I thought. I’ll just spray on some Oxi-clean and that will be it . . .

So I go to treat it and what I thought was just a little brown stain turned into several BIGGER stains all over the front of my shirt. Hum?

Upon further inspection, I find not only is the front a mess, but there are also several big stains on the back of the shirt too. WHAT?!?

So I proceed to basically drench my shirt in oxi-clean and put it into wash, praying that’s the last I see of it.

Well, it wasn’t. That stain was there.to.STAY.

Blast!

Not to mention, that I still have no idea where that stain came from. Like, literally, it looks like I dumped my entire dinner of spaghetti on my shirt and then rolled around in it on the floor. But I have no recollection of anything so messy. However, I can be a clumsy girl, so that’s not TOO unusual . . .

So I put the shirt into my “stained/worn shirts that get shredded and used in my painting/staining projects” pile. Oh well . . .

P5260051 copy

Then my wheels started turning . . .

I remember seeing these little boxes of powder dye in the laundry detergent section of Wal-Mart. Hum? Could it work? The shirt was still in perfectly good condition other than the big, ugly stain. And the dye is only a $1.50 a box? Should I go for it??

purple dye

I did!

P5260021

And I’m happy to say it worked!

So the next time you have a shirt that is still good besides a little staining, try dying it! I’m thinking of all my little girl’s shirts, especially white ones, that have gotten a little stained and would be so cute in a lovely shade of yellow or blue!

P5260053 (2)

Just remember you might have funky-colored finger nails for a couple of days :)

He He . . .

8 comments:

Meshelle said...

Looks great, Karyn! I think I might even like it better in purple (you wore that shirt at the our girl's weekend, right?)!!

Bear said...

LOVE IT. i SO want to copy you.

Crazy Lifferths said...

Love it! What about when you wash it though? I just RUINED a new shirt in the wash that I loved...I should go get it out of the bathroom trash and dye it, I am on it!

MaRiN said...

That is so awesome! I have about a bazillion shirts of my daughters I could dye. I'm so excited to try it, thanks!

Brandy and Robert said...

Thanks for the reminder!! I haven't dyed anything in a LONG time; I used to dye black shirts when they started to fade, it gave them a longer life. :)

tyandlinds said...

aren't you the cutest!!!

April said...

You are amazingly creative!! It looks great!

Mrs. McB said...

Great idea! I also love the shirt!