Monday, August 9, 2010

A Kitchen Corner

If you don’t know, we are helpless renters. Someday I would love to own a home! And I will most certainly tear apart, paint, and decorate it to pieces :) But for now, I have to look for simple ways to turn our little rental house into a home (love that word) . . . on a budget of course!

Take for instance this little kitchen corner (see that AWESOME tile . . . One of the lovely things about renting. Um, you just never know what you’re going to get? ha ha) . . .


OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA


After finishing my kitchen table and chairs, I looked around the rest of my kitchen, and realized this little corner looked pretty sad . . . so I dug into my “idea” file on my computer and came across this lovely picture . . .


I LOVE this picture . . . everything about it! But I really loved those antique clothespins. Anyone know where I could find some?? . . . Well, me neither. So I just grabbed some regular old plain ones . . .


P7290087


Stained them a dark walnut and plopped them into a round Bell jar from Hobby Lobby . . .


P8020009 (2)rev



Then I took this fun glass jar I picked up at Goodwill (I think for $2), spray painted the top a satin colonial red (to cover up the shiny Christmas red) and added some sugar . . .


P7200039

P8050011 rev

Then I found this BIG glass jar at Wal-Mart for only $10 and filled it with some faux green apples . . .


P8050015 rev


And this is what I came up with to brighten up this sad little corner :)


P8050012 rev

I only ended up spending $10 for the big glass jar . . . the rest I already had. Not bad!


P.S. Anyone know how to paint on glass??


img49m


I would love to know how to replicate those little numbers :)

4 comments:

tyandlinds said...

turned out really cute!!

JACK!E said...

i wonder if you could get vinyl with that worn look...?

Erica said...

Yay you have a blog!

In LOVE with what you did to your kitchen table and chairs. Genius!

Lynn said...

delta makes glass paint, just like reg craft paint, but you then bake it in the oven to cure it. I've used it before and it stays on really well.