Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween Clearance

Anyone going Halloween clearance shopping today??

You can’t beat the prices and, besides that, it’s just fun to dig through everything to find a few treasures :)

This BOO sign was something I picked up last year at Hobby Lobby when everything went 80% off. I think I ended up paying less than a $1 . . .

PA150096

I’m not quite sure who in design gave the okay on the crazy psychedelic paint job but I have a feeling someone in production will be paying for it cause there were TONS of these signs left. Ha ha!

But the paint didn’t deter me :) It was solid wood and I liked the shape so I picked one up in hopes that I could salvage it . . .

This year when I pulled it out, I instantly knew what I wanted to do . . .

I sanded off most of the crazy bright paint then coated it with plain black.

PA150097

Cute enough, but I decided to take it one step more and do another layer of white . . .

PA290023 rev

Then I roughed it up again with the sander and this is what I got!

PA290026

Much better, right?

I think it actually says “Halloween” now instead of “crazy 70s dance party”

So if you decide to go out and fight the clearance crowds be on the lookout for things that could be cute with just a little bit of paint :) Good luck!

2 comments:

Melanie M. McKinnon said...

i LOVE your blog! i'm in no way crafty so i love seeing the actual steps you take to craft things. you are awesome.

Carrie Snider said...

Love it! Now I don't look at stuff with "psychedelic" paint jobs quite the same way.... it's all about potential baby!